Ticket #2791 (new task)
Funding request: phone line for Sugar Labs PR
|Reported by:||sdaly||Owned by:||mchua|
|Priority:||Unspecified by Maintainer||Milestone:||Unspecified by Release Team|
Description (last modified by mchua) (diff)
What is being purchased?
A voip.ms service to replace the number Sean Daly organized & had financed
since March 2009: http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-March/000504.html
Why does this purchase benefit the operations of Sugar Labs?
This is our direct contact line for journalists to reach us and has
proven its worth several times, notably when the BBC reached us
through our line and covered Sugar Labs.
Gizmo5, our provider, was acquired by Google late last year. Google
decided to cut off service without a comparable replacement, as
discussed in recent marketing meetings e.g.:
It was necessary to replace our dead phone line (service was ended on
April 3rd on short notice) prior to last Friday's press release.
Who will be responsible for the item?
How much will it cost?
Cost of voip.ms is approximately 5 USD per month, I seeded the account with $25.
What other options were evaluated for purchase?
- Google Voice has not evolved since March 2009 and remains primitive for our needs, in particular is unavailable outside the USA
- SipGate has limited dialin choice, limited scalability, and costs more than voip.ms.
What were the criteria or features you needed?
- dialin analog line in Cambridge/Boston, possibility of European dialin line
- softphone with personalized (recorded) outgoing message
- incoming message e-mailed to pr at sugarlabs.org as soundfile
- scalability (add numbers, multiple access, frontend to phone server, etc.)
- possibility to organize conference call with journalists
What deadlines are associated with this request?
Originally written to the marketing list at http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2011-April/003255.html - I am casting this into the format we requested, so we have an example of usage as specified by http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance#For_purchasing_things .