Opened 8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago

Last modified 7 years ago

#3497 closed defect (notsugar)

Browse crashes a lot on 1.75

Reported by: erikos Owned by: erikos
Priority: Immediate Milestone:
Component: Browse Version: Git as of bugdate
Severity: Blocker Keywords: 12.1.0, upstream
Cc: tonyforster, dsd Distribution/OS: OLPC
Bug Status: New

Description (last modified by manuq)

I have seen Browse crashing a lot of times on the XO 1.75 with os8. No concrete steps yet to reproduce. I will close and then we can test in build.

Attachments (4)

browse-trace5.txt.asc (30.5 KB) - added by manuq 8 years ago.
browse-trace7.txt.asc (29.3 KB) - added by manuq 8 years ago.
ephy-trace.txt (5.4 KB) - added by manuq 8 years ago.
browse-trace8.txt (40.5 KB) - added by manuq 8 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (27)

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

Same here. Epiphany crashes in the same machine, I will try a trace.

Changed 8 years ago by manuq

comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

Attached a backtrace, it ends with:

Backtrace stopped: previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)

comment:3 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

After installing a lot of packages via debuginfo-install (more than 1.4G) I still got a slim backtrace. Attaching as browse-trace7.txt.

Changed 8 years ago by manuq

comment:4 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

Traced Epiphany, same slim backtrace. Attaching..

Changed 8 years ago by manuq

comment:5 Changed 8 years ago by tonyforster

  • Cc tonyforster added

comment:6 Changed 8 years ago by dsd

Thats painful. Next time please also run "info threads", see if there is more than 1 thread running. If so, get traces from all of them. e.g.

t 1
bt
t 2
bt
t 3
bt

comment:7 Changed 8 years ago by dsd

  • Cc dsd added

I also have a suspicion here that this is caused by the v8 javascript engine, that compiles javascript into ARM instructions and then executes them. Perhaps it is generating a bad instruction sequence.

If someone has time to do some exploratory work it would be interesting to know if there are ways to disable v8 and go back to "traditional" javascript execution, or what debugging options are available for v8 (can you make it dump the compiled code to disk before executing it or something?).

comment:8 Changed 8 years ago by dsd

From NZ testing group

Browse is still very unstable. Logging in to google docs causes it to
crash on the first document list screen after login.
http://blog.makezine.com causes it to crash. Last time I tried
slashdot also caused it to crash, but this time it didn’t, so I guess
the problem does depend on exactly what the website is showing. In
every case where browse crashed, it still appeared as the active
activity in the center of the home screen even though it had
disappeared.

Changed 8 years ago by manuq

comment:9 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

Attached a trace with a backtrace for each thread.

Thanks a lot to the NZ testing group. Yes google docs is a good testing for the crash. Tested in XO-1.5 and it doesn't crash on it (doesn't open the document in a new tab but that is other issue).

comment:10 follow-up: Changed 8 years ago by dsd

rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*

seems to "fix" the crashes for me. Can anyone confirm?

comment:11 in reply to: ↑ 10 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

Replying to dsd:

rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*

seems to "fix" the crashes for me. Can anyone confirm?

It seems so, I will keep testing.

comment:12 Changed 8 years ago by dsd

It doesn't fix it.

Here is a webkitgtk3 build with the JIT disabled at configure-time:
http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=764667

Please help me test to see if the crash is gone.

It also includes an update to webkitgtk3-1.8.1 (compared to 1.8.0 which we tested with earlier); we'll have to do a plain 1.8.1 build to compare to really have a conclusive test

comment:13 Changed 8 years ago by dsd

Oops, that build has the JIT enabled still (and it is crashing). New one coming up.

comment:16 Changed 8 years ago by dsd

Seems to fix the crash.

comment:17 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

  • Description modified (diff)
  • Keywords olpc-test-pending added
  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

Yes, I think I tested enough (using modern web apps like gmail or google docs) and it fixes it.

comment:18 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

  • Resolution fixed deleted
  • Status changed from closed to reopened

comment:19 Changed 8 years ago by dsd

  • Keywords olpc-test-pending removed

For now disabling the JIT is just a useful test. Ideally we will fix the bug in the JIT and leave it enabled. Commented on the upstream bug, and asked for help on the fedora-arm list. (Plan B is disabling the JIT in fedora for ARM).

comment:20 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

  • Keywords upstream added

comment:21 Changed 8 years ago by dsd

  • Resolution set to notsugar
  • Status changed from reopened to closed

We've disabled the ARM JIT in Fedora and now things are working. Will hopefully be able to re-enable it in future.

comment:22 Changed 8 years ago by manuq

This is tracked now in OLPC trac: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11875

comment:23 Changed 7 years ago by dnarvaez

  • Milestone 0.96 deleted

Milestone 0.96 deleted

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.