Opened 12 years ago

Closed 12 years ago

#1426 closed defect (fixed)

lots of missing strings for spanish (probably for all other languages)

Reported by: rgs Owned by: walter
Priority: High Milestone: Unspecified
Component: Turtleart Version: Git as of bugdate
Severity: Major Keywords:
Cc: Distribution/OS: Unspecified
Bug Status: Unconfirmed

Description

po/TurlteArt.pot is missing lots of strings definitions corresponding to blocks, hence most of the time the help text is half translated but with the block name in english.

The attached patch adds quite a few but there are many more missing. I propose a translation sprint this weekend but before we start I would like to (for once and for all) learn how the integration with Pootle really works. I just have the feeling that much of the translation work we did previosly was overwritten..

Do we have a way to automatize the list of strings that needs translation? It seems that right now it is done by hand.. very very very error prone.

Attachments (2)

missing-translation-for-block-names.patch (1.7 KB) - added by rgs 12 years ago.
add a few strings (mainly block names) to po/TurtleArt.pot and po/es.po
add-dict-to-map-strings.patch (3.4 KB) - added by rgs 12 years ago.
add dictionary to map strings with spaces and other special cases to their corresponding string

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (5)

Changed 12 years ago by rgs

add a few strings (mainly block names) to po/TurtleArt.pot and po/es.po

comment:1 Changed 12 years ago by walter

The POT file is not being generated by hand, and the block labels should all have associated strings in the POT as they all appear in the svg factory. So the problem must be that there is a mismatch between the internal block names and the label names. Will investigate.

comment:2 Changed 12 years ago by walter

OK. I understand the problem. Internally, I use names without spaces. In generating the labels, I use names with spaces. So the simple solution is to use a dictionary.

<rgs> walterbender: ping
<walterbender> rgs
: I am just looking over your patch re the missing labels.
<walterbender> rgs: I have a solution that requires no new translations
-->| sdziallas (n=sebastia@fedora/sdziallas) has joined #sugar
<rgs
> walterbender: ok (morning).
<CIA-73> turtleart: clytie * r25d45e6c4411 /po/vi.po: Commit from Sugar Labs: Translation System by user Clytie. 211 of 211 messages translated (0 fuzzy).
<walterbender> rgs: the problem is, for example, internally, I use pensize but the label (and POT) only know pen size, with a space.
<walterbender> rgs
: I'll use a dictionary to resolve the difference
<walterbender> rgs: good morning :)
<rgs
> walterbender: hmmm.. are you planning on a hack around?
<rgs> walterbender: i've thought of that as well. I am just worry that in the future we might miss something
<walterbender> rgs
: not really a hack... sort of what dictionaries are for.
<rgs> walterbender: but it is based on a assumption
<walterbender> rgs
: the problem is that variable names cannot have spaces in them in Python
<rgs> walterbender: that you always use a space
<rgs
> walterbender: well, as long as we dont loose that consistency
<rgs> walterbender: never mind, i am being paranoid. It will work.
<walterbender> rgs
: I could add _ to the variable names and then .replace with space.
<rgs> walterbender: once you are done with it ping me and lets talk about text wrapping. I am at a meeting so I have time to look at code :)
<rgs
> walterbender: yeah, we just need a way to map to valid keys
<walterbender> rgs: the latter would perhaps be better, but it is a much more invasive change
-->| ramoonas (n=ramoonas@…) has joined #sugar
<walterbender> rgs
: also those names are what are stored in the ta files so if we change them. we lose backward compatibility.
<walterbender> rgs: so I think it has to be done with the dictionary.

Changed 12 years ago by rgs

add dictionary to map strings with spaces and other special cases to their corresponding string

comment:3 Changed 12 years ago by walter

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

fixed in POT associated with v70

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.